Saturday 4 May 2013

The best laid plans....

Saturday May 4th


I had a good start this morning, with a good plan: head further south then start to go west.  Passed the outskirts of both Boston and Newtown/Sandy Hook, it is remarkable how close they are.  Gave a silent thought to all those hurt and killed in those two incidents.

As I was approaching Providence Rhode Island, up head, the I95 was a parking lot for miles.  Fortunately I was next to an exit when I noticed, and skedaddled off the highway figuring I could find a route around it.  Well after a couple of missed steps I finally threw in the towel: plotted Front Royal Virginia on the GPS and said get me there the quickest!!!

Front Royal is the start of Skyline Drive which turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway, over 550 scenic miles!!!!   Everything up to that point is just checking off states, Blue Ridge is where it starts!!

At one point passing Hershey PA I realized I have been there a couple of times with the Porsche Club.  It is less than 700kms from Toronto, and takes about 8 hours to drive.  I on the other hand have piled on 2500kms and four days to get there!  

So I woke up in Maine, passed through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and am now in Pennsylvania!!!  Not quite the plan.  It took me two hours to find a spot to camp, and I just kept riding, stopping in Ironwood Point campground 793kms later!!!  To get to my scenic starting point tomorrow I have a paltry 453km day.  My recalculated route means I miss a bunch of States: Philly, Washington, Delaware etc....

I don’t really want to go on about my dinners, but I found one that is REALLY good: Backpackers Pantry Katmandu Curry with Rice!!!! Delish!!!!  Vegetarian even and still good!!!

So all told a good day, just not what I was expecting when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment