Saturday 11 May 2013

Lucky day...

Well today I got pretty lucky quite a few times.  I woke to a gorgeous almost cloudless sky and cool temperatures.  Perfect riding weather.  Since I had stopped in the middle of no where the previous night I headed enroute in search of breakfast.  My go-to restaurant of choice this trip seems to be Denny's.  Last trip it was A&W, but there seems to be quite a bit fewer of those south of the border.

So while eating breakfast I perused my atlas.  I came to the conclusion that my current destination of Carlsbad New Mexico wasn't that great.  My primary further destination is Page Arizona, up near the Utah border.  So rather than head to Carlsbad I took a more direct route to get to Page.  That meant instead of heading across the bottom of Texas, I would instead finally start heading north, and then cross the top of Texas, then across the top of New Mexico.

So with new GPS coordinates plotted I headed out..... twice during the day I threaded the needle between to storm fronts.  Then at the end of the day I was riding along the northern edge of a big storm.  I only got sprinkled on a couple of times, which considering the black clouds around me was amazing.

In the very last half hour along the biggest storm front, I did for the first time ever get blown out of my lane on the highway!!!  The bike was leaned over at a nearly 45 degree angle, and the wind just started blowing me left, fortunately into a very open lane!!!  The storm front ended about 5 miles from my destination, which is where I am now: Tucucmcari New Mexico.  As I cleared the storm front I looked back and saw a perfect, and really low rainbow:



I was so close to the storm front when I stopped for the night, not much further than where I took the photo, I stood in the KOA parking lot for 10 minutes trying to figure out if the storm was coming or going.  Taking the safer route, and it turns out the $5 more expensive route I am in  Motel 6 down the street.

Funny story of the day: Only in Texas.... riding down the highway I see a pickup truck stopped in the middle of the lanes going the other way, traffic was slowing behind him, so I figured a recent accident... nooooo... a rather large horned steer and a calf were loose running along the highway and he was trying to round them up!!!

1 comment:

  1. If you are spending time in Utah and want to brush up on your Mormon (LDS) history ... Jon Krakauer (author of Into the Wild and Into Thin Air) wrote "Under the Banner of Heaven." This is a fantastic read into the fanatical nature of seriously large portions of this religion with a focus on the Utah connection and history.

    Certainly worth a Kobol (?) purchase.

    ReplyDelete